Hey guys! Sorry if I’ve been MIA, we had a pretty busy weekend over at the Murray household! Thursday was my dad’s birthday, Friday I spent the day babysitting, Saturday was filled with Mother’s Day errands, and Sunday, we spent the day celebrating our superwoman mama. Let me catch you up on the past few days!
Every year, we ask my dad what kind of cake he wants for his birthday. Then, in return, he asks my brother and I what kind of cake that WE want, even though it’s his birthday. Because he knows that my favorite cake is strawberry, and my brother’s favorite cake is chocolate, he asked for a chocolate cake with strawberry buttercream stuffed with strawberry. My mom and I put our heads together and came up with the idea for a double layer chocolate cake stuffed with strawberry cheesecake, iced with strawberry buttercream and topped with chocolate covered strawberries.
I usually am not super confident in my baking abilities, but y’all- I think there might be an inner Cake Boss hidden in me. I was so proud of how the cake turned out, and even more proud of how delicious it tasted! I was so excited that we could make my dad’s cake wish come to life. He’s so selfless, even on his birthday, he wants to make sure that we like the kind of cake that he chooses. We also surprised him with tickets to the LSU vs. Auburn game and it was a blast! There’s just something about hearing “Calling Baton Rouge” that gives me goose bumps and I swear I can feel the purple and gold pride rushing through my veins. I wouldn’t trade being a tiger fan for the world, and that’s something I can definitely say I got from my mama AND my daddy.
Below is the recipe for the Strawberry Cheesecake stuffed Chocolate Cake and the recipe for the strawberry buttercream icing! My mom got the chocolate cake recipe YEARS ago whenever she was working at the Senate!
Strawberry Cheesecake stuffed Chocolate Cake
- 1 box Devil’s food cake mix (we use Duncan Hines, but use whatever kind you like)
- 1 3.9 oz box Instant Jello chocolate pudding mix
- 4 beaten eggs
- One cup of sour cream (the sour cream helps to make cakes moist and creamy- its the oldest baker’s secret!)
- Half a cup of milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 350 and grease two round pans with non-stick spray
- Mix all the ingredients by hand, except for the chocolate chips. Those come next!
- Stir chocolate chips into batter
- Pour batter into two round pans
- Bake for approximately forty minutes, checking with a toothpick to see if cake is done. Baking times will vary by oven!
- Cool cakes before icing them
- TIP: if you wrap the cakes in saran wrap and freeze them for a few hours, it reduces the amount of crumbs that smear in the icing while you’re trying to frost the cake. This makes life A LOT easier!
- Stuff between the layers of chocolate cake with a boxed Sara Lee Strawberry cheesecake. I like to blend the cheesecake until fluffy, but some people like to cut individual cheesecake squares to stuff inside the cake! It’s up to you, whatever floats your boat 🙂
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup crisco
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt (I know, it sounds weird. But it enhances the sweetness of the buttercream!)
- 5 large strawberries, diced (but its up to your discretion, if you think you need more, go for it sista friend!)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Place diced strawberries and sugar into bowl and combine.
- Pace strawberry and sugar mixture in refrigerator for an hour and a half
- Blend the Crisco until it gets fluffy
- Add sugar to the Crisco and continue to blend with a hand mixer
- Then add the salt, vanilla extract, heavy whipping cream and strawberries to the mixture
- Beat the mixture until it becomes fluffy
- Frost cake
- You can garnish with chocolate dipped strawberries if you like
Then, for Mother’s Day, we got to celebrate my precious mama. She has a heart of gold and she continuously amazes me with how patient, loving, and generous she is. I can only hope to be half the mama that she is one day (Or to have half as beautiful skin as she does when I’m her age… the woman is simply flawless!) My brother and I surprised my mama with a necklace made by Blushes and Gold. My mama always tells my brother and I, “I love you more.” And we always respond with, “We love you more!” I sent in a picture of my handwriting that said “Love you More.” Blushes and Gold then copied that handwriting onto a gold plated bar necklace for my mama! We were so glad to spend the day showering her with love and letting her know how much we appreciate her. But I think my mama deserves to be pampered every day, she truly is a gem and I’m so grateful God chose her to be mine.
How did you celebrate Mother’s Day? Shoot me an email or comment below, I’d love to hear about your time with your sweet mamas!